整理了Online English Lessons幾個有關天氣的諺語給大家參考。
1. fair-weather friend- 酒肉朋友 (a fair-weather friend is someone who is your friend when things are going well for you, and who stops being your friend when you are having problems.)
1. When I lost my job and John didn’t want to see me: he was a fair-weather friend.
2. raining cats and dogs – 暴雨 (if it is raining cats and dogs it is raining very heavily.)
1. Don’t forget your umbrella: it’s raining cats and dogs!
3. come rain or shine – 風雨無阻、不管發生什麼事情 (come rain or shine means whatever happens or whatever the weather.)
1. I’ll be there for you, come rain or shine.
2. I take my dog for a walk every day, come rain or shine. (I take my dog for a walk every day, whatever the weather)
3. Come rain or shine I’m going to pass my English exam. (No matter what happens I’m going to pass my English exam)
4. take a rain check (on something) – " 這次沒辦法，下次吧！"的意思 (if you take a rain check on something you postpone it until another time.)
1. Can I take a rain check?
2. Can I take a rain check on our dinner date? I have to work late tonight.
5. save for a rainy day – 未雨綢繆 (to save for a rainy day is to save something (especially money) for a time in the future when it might be needed unexpectedly.)
1. I’m saving £50 a month for a rainy day.